Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Convict Cichlids

Whilst checking out Petlink around lunchtime I noticed a local ad for Free Convicts. The ad said there were about 15 convict fish at 3-7cm long, all healthy and some breeding. I rang the guy and yes they were still available. After consulting the train timetable and smsing Josh, I rang the guy back and told him when to expect us.

Ron was really nice, he took us on a tour of his tanks and we talked about our different aquarium experiences. He has some kribensis, which we also chatted about and I told him I have a couple of batches of babies. He expressed interest in them and I told him I would be more than happy to give him the first batch - especially when I was getting 12 (turned out to be 12) large convicts (all the convicts are around the 12cm mark - no idea were he got 3-7cm from...) for free and the kribs parents are breeding every month. I also managed to score a free two foot tank that needed repairing! LOL

As Ron was now promised the krib babies he offered to give us a lift home so he could pick up the babies at the same time. Suited us brilliantly as now Josh and I didn't have to juggle carrying a two foot tank and a heavy bucket of fish to the train station and then home!

Catching the krib babies was fun... NOT, gee they are sneaky little buggers and FAST! I thought I had caught them all but Josh found a few more after Ron left. I was okay with that, as I had always planned on keeping a few from my first krib batch.

I was really happy with getting the convicts as they were on my list of fish to get soon. Only thing is they were meant to be alot smaller :P never mind! Ron promises to stay in touch - alot of his workmates are into aquariums also and will be interested in buying breeding stock from me, and Ron is also interested in the two of us swapping fish another time. He has lots of baby electric yellows which I have my eye on... :P

My new Convict Cichlids....


This pic gives a more acurate idea of their size.

2 comments:

  1. Convicts breed like hell. Too bad they are aggressive otherwise a great fish. A pair would be enough have within few months you can have 100's. Soon you will be giving them away for free too.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laughs*

    Don't worry I am calling around to friends offering them the excess convicts already :P be glad you live so far away ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete